This is a great home-selling market but one thing can get in the way, no matter how desirable the home. That one thing is the roof! If you have an old or damaged roof, it could prevent your buyer from getting approved for the home.
Lenders often require roof replacements if the roof on the home is old or damaged. Many people put off replacing their roofs after a storm. Or some people are waiting for a storm so insurance will pay to replace their old roof. Whatever the case, if you get caught with an old roof when you’re trying to sell, it will likely delay or kill your home sale! Many lenders demand roof inspections.
Some people figure, they just wait until the home is under contract but that could be too late. Many roofers get busy and can’t get to you for months. As a result, the closing could be delayed for months and anxious home-buyers are often not willing to wait!
My advice is to replace your roof when it needs replacing – whether from damage or old age if you’re planning to sell in the near future. If you put it off, the timing may not coincide with your buyer’s timeline and you could lose the sale.
BTW … if you’re buying a home with an old roof, your insurance company may require that you replace it before they will cover it. Keep that in mind before submitting your final offer! Get the roof inspected.
- WINDOWS: THE CLEAR TRUTH! - AROUND THE HOUSE, FRONT PAGE NEWS 9 May , at 1:24 PM
- SAVE YOUR FINGERS: SNOW-BLOWER DANGER (even when "off") - AROUND THE HOUSE, BLOG 9 Oct , at 2:38 PM
- NO MORE FROZEN PIPES! - AROUND THE HOUSE, BLOG 27 Sep , at 4:38 PM
- MOST INTERNET MOVERS ARE RIP-OFFS - BLOG, FRONT PAGE NEWS 14 Nov , at 9:52 AM
- MONEY IS THERE BUT CHECK BOUNCED! - BLOG, BUSINESS, CREDIT & FINANCE 1 Nov , at 3:23 PM