Posted by Tom Martino at 2:34 pm 73 Comments Print
How would you like to have this nightmare? You buy a condo and a few months after moving in, the parking space in the garage below you has been turned into a bar!
It happened. The condo development is Tennyson Parkside Condominiums. Maria bought a condo there and a few months after moving in she noticed a construction company enclosing a parking spot in the common-area parking garage. She later found out that the parking space was being turned into a bar, as part of the retail space on the same level.
Linda demanded the extra bar space as part of her lease for the space, now known as “Berkeley Untapped”. Can you blame Maria for being upset? The bar is right underneath her condo. And it’s in an area that was previously a parking space!
Here’s the weirdest part: Linda (who owns the bar) does NOT even own the parking spot. It is simply assigned to her as an owner. It is supposed to be “common area space”.
What a mess! How did Linda get a building permit to enclose property she didn’t own? How did she then convert that space into part of her lease? Why did the city let her do it? And why did the HOA go along with the plan?
These are just some of the questions lingering.
BLOG BUSINESS LANDLORD & TENANT LEGAL STUFF READY REAL ESTATE
- THE BIG MISTAKES - Home Repairs! - AROUND THE HOUSE, BLOG 9 Jul , at 4:05 PM
- DIAMOND RING STOLEN IN TRANSIT - BLOG, INSURANCE, TROUBLESHOOTING 24 May , at 9:10 AM
- THE LEMON LAW IN ACTION! - BLOG, MOTOR VEHICLES, TROUBLESHOOTING 9 May , at 11:36 AM
- THE TRUTH ABOUT VEHICLE EXTENDED WARRANTIES - BLOG, MOTOR VEHICLES 13 Nov , at 9:23 AM
- MONEY IS THERE BUT CHECK BOUNCED! - BLOG, BUSINESS, CREDIT & FINANCE 1 Nov , at 3:23 PM